Tincture Making Basics
Adapted from Mountain Rose Herbs
- Fresh or dried herb
- Mason jar
- Amber bottles & dropper
- Harvest, clean, and verify proper herb identification. Once the herb is prepared, chop or grind it.
- Fill 2/3 of a clean mason jar with chopped leafy herb. If tincturing roots, only fill 1/3 of the jar with chopped root. Dried roots will expand.
- Pour vodka to the top of the jar, completely covering the herb. Label your jar with the date, name of the herb, part used, alcohol strength, and herb source.
- Allow to extract for 6 to 8 weeks, shaking jar often. Strain the herb with cheesecloth and squeeze any remaining liquid back into the extract.
- Bottle the liquid in amber bottles to minimize exposure to sunlight and label.
Enjoy your homemade herbal extracts!